Tuesday 19 November 2013

Review: Red Tears by Joanna Kenrick

Red Tears
Summary from Goodreads:
Emily Bowyer is a normal, confident teenager. But beneath the surface she has a wretched secret. Because, for Emily, life isn't as much fun as it would appear. Her friends are going off her and her parents only seem to care about her troubled brother. Tension, pressure, anxiety, anger and self-hatred - where does it go when no one will listen?

This was one of those books that just strikes you and stays with you long after you finish it. It makes you realise that you have no idea what is going on in someone else's mind. It's amazing how relateable Emily was in the book and I found that a lot of things she felt were things that a lot of teenagers feel at that point in their lives. 

One thing that really disturbed me, and kinda made me feel sick, was how people reacted when they found out about Emily cutting. What her school did made me feel physically sick and it seemed as though no one wanted to help her they just wanted to cover up what she was doing and didn't really want to see the reasons for why she did this to herself. I have full sympathy for Emily and I just wanted to hug her and try and help her through it. The way her mother reacted to it made me so mad. It was as if it was happening to her and I just wanted her to stop being so selfish and help her daughter. 

Joanna Kenrick's writing style was so easy to read and you could feel every emotion from Emily. It was sad and disturbing but you couldn't stop reading because you wanted to see if Emily would be able to get through it. I have to say that the ending was just perfect. I think was a beautiful way to end and it left you with a feeling that things get better and that if you are going through something difficult that things do get better even if it doesn't feel like they will.

It was a thought provoking book that will stay with me for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you've read my thoughts, what are your?