Friday 20 July 2012

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire - Leona

Summary from Goodreads:
One hour to rewrite the past . . . 

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back. So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?


It took me a few chapters to really get into this book, but then Myra McEntire had me firmly in her grasp! This was a truly amazing debut novel that I really enjoyed.

The idea of the book had me hooked and I had to keep reading to find out more about the characters and their stories. Emerson "Em" is an irresistible lead character, from her witty comments to her attitude there was nothing I didn't like about her. It would be really hard to not get captivated by her story and I couldn't stop reading. I had to find out everything I could about Em.

In Hourglass we have an amazing little love story. Their really is a chemistry between them and you, as the reader, will feel every single emotion that Em feels towards her interest. It's so hard not to love him. He's caring, smart and so many other things. We even get another love interest later on in the book, and let me tell you that he is just as amazing as the first.

Myra has got time travel nailed. It was brilliantly written about, easy to understand and well developed. I haven't read many, or any, books about time travel so it was fun to read something new. It was also a nice break from my usual books that involve vampires, werewolves or, my personal favourite, witches.

Myra McEntire has a wonderful writing style that simply flows off the page and it really helps to get a good image in your head of what's going on. The entire concept of Hourglass was very original.

Also, what an amazing cover! It really blends in with the original story line. The only real problem I had was with Emerson's family. Frankly I thought they were way too lovey-dovey. 

Having said that, I loved this book and cannot wait to get my hands on the sequel Timepiece.




1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award :)

    Find out more about the challenge on my blog:

    http://uncorkedthoughts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/liebster-award.html

    x

    ReplyDelete

Now you've read my thoughts, what are your?