Friday 29 June 2012

Review: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa - Leona


Summary from Goodreads:    
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

In The Iron Daughter we get to see even more of the amazing world of the Fey. Julie Kagawa once again manages to surprise me with her fluency of writing and the wonderful images that she creates with her words.

Meghan's character takes a blow early on and at points I felt like screaming at her. She did some really stupid things that made me cover my eyes and hang my head in shame. After this point we see her character go from strength to strength. 

This book does not fall prey to the dreaded curse of the second book. Basically, it's when the second book in a series is really bad! This book may even be better than the first one! I know, I said it. Relationships are developed further and we discover more of the rules and wonderful places within the book.

Puck is the same sarcastic boy that we loved from The Iron King! He's even better this time around!
Ash makes a lot of difficult choices this time round and it makes us, the reader, wonder why he made them! We see his feelings more in this one and we learn more about his past!

Julie Kagawa is fast becoming one of my favourite authors because she can create magical worlds that I would love to live in.....kinda! 

Go read this series if you haven't already!



Favourite quotes:
"Your kind of blind, you know?" Puck whispered, smiling to soften his words. “I wouldn’t defy Oberon for just anyone. But, for you...” He leaned forward, touching his forehead to mine. “I’d come back from the dead for you." 

"I was minding my own buisness long before you and the princess started humping like rabbits." 

"But I can't...I won't...give her up. Not now, when I've just found her."

"How is Oberon these days? Still being henpecked by that basilisk of a wife?"
"Don't insult the basilisk...." 

"You look like crap, prince. Did you miss me?"
"Yes," he murmured, his voice so low I barely caught it. "She's worth it."
"You know Mab will tear you apart for this."
"I know."

"I know you'd risk everything to protect us, and that's what worries me. You still don't know enough about this world to be properly terrified. Things are going to get screwed eight ways from Sunday, and you're making goo-goo eyes at the enemy! I heard what happened in Machina's realm and yes, it scared the hell out of me. I love you, dammit. I'm not going to watch you get torn apart when everything goes bad."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you've read my thoughts, what are your?