Sunday 4 December 2011

Carrier of the mark by Leigh Fallon

Summary from Goodreads
From the moment she sets foot at her new school in Ireland, Megan is inexplicably drawn to the darkly handsome Adam DeRis. But Megan soon discovers that her feelings for Adam are tied to a supernatural fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that unites them could be their ultimate destruction.


 I heard so many different reviews about this book so I went into with an open mind. I have to say I didn't particularly enjoy it. I would like to say that I HATE to write a bad review and I hope that I like the second book more because I will read it!

I'm afraid to say that there isn't many positives that I can really say. I found the characters to be rather dull. I didn't understand why she got so infatuated with Adam on the first day simply because he kept looking at her. I thought they feel in love way to quickly.

I found the writing infuriating. It may just be me but I thought Megan focused to much on how pronounce peoples names. And when her dad says guards she corrects him that they are called the Gardai (guard-ee). You may be wondering why that would annoy me. Its just the fact that in Ireland we call them the guards anyway so there was really no point in correcting him. Also Megan was WAY to much like Bella from Twilight! Actually the whole thing remind me of twilight. Aine reminds me of Alice, Rian reminds me of Rosalie. Strange how the characters that are alike has the same first initial. Even some of the thingd that Megan and Adam say to eachother are like those that Bella and Edward say to eachother. I found that Megan accepted who she was WAY to easily!

I found that the conversations between the characters seemed rather robotic, very drone like. At points I began to wonder if they were even human. And I found it rather strange that at one point Megan doesn't understand what one of the characters is saying (she says that it doesn't even sound like english) and yet after this point she understands them fully. Strange..

Its not all bad the cover is lovely. It was what first made me notice this book. I love the fact that it is set in my home country of Ireland! (always a positive). More specifically it is set in Kinsale. And that is about all the positives I can think of.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you've read my thoughts, what are your?